Ropeways from three different mines were gathered in Taubenesentralen (the ropeway center). From here the coal was passed on via another ropeway to the coal harbour on Hotellneset where it was stored until shipping season started. The central was finished in 1957 and in 1987 trucks took over the transport.
In the old days, the local coal company, Store Norske Spitsbergen Kulkompani, used ropeway to transport coal from the mine to the storage area on Hotellneset. Some places it was necessary to change the angle of the ropeway. A so called angle station can be seen in the picture. Continue reading →
In Endalen outside Longyearbyen there are several support pillars after the cable car ropeway that went from Mine 5, via Longyearbyen, to Hotellneset where coal was stored in anticipation of the shipping season.